Thursday 3 December 2009

Indian Lamb in Spice and Yoghurt

I love cooking, read my C.V if you don't believe me. I love things that take ages to cook. I am of the opinion that everything tastes better when it is slow cooked.

Anyway, when ever I cook something I really like I will be writing the recipe in this blog and sticking a picture if I remember to take one.

So last night was Indian Lamb in Spice and Yoghurt. I really like Indian food and lamb is probably my favourite meat so this was a winner before i even started cooking.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 onions, chopped - I used shallots
125g plain yoghurt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamon - didn't use this
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves - didn't use this either
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1kg boned leg of lamb, chopped up - i used a shoulder joint and cooked it a bit longer
1 teaspoon garam masala
chopped fresh coriander leaves

1) heat oil in a wok over a medium heat and add the onion, stirring for 5min or until softened.
2) stir in the yoghurt, chili powder, coriander, cumin, cardamon, cloves, turmeric, garlic and ginger.
3) add the tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt then simmer for 5min
4) add the lamb and stir until coated
4) cover and cook over a low heat, stirring every now and again for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours or until lamb is tender
5) add the garam masala to the curry and mix through
6) Sprinkle coriander leaves over the top.

This recipe was taken from "The Essential Wok Cookbook" by Murdoch Books


It was delicious, i had expected to have some left over for lunch today but when I got to the fridge found that my bloody sister had taken what was left for lunch at work.

Not impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment